A Night Without a Home
GO FULL-SCREEN FOR A BETTER TIME
and since you are already reading this - here are some
- 5% of people were at some point homeless
- there were 35k homeless people on any given night in 2019 Canada
- there are 26k beds across all homeless shelters in 2019 Canada
- not all of those beds were full because homeless people are not evenly distributed across the country
- since COVID:
- fuckton of people lost their jobs and were evicted
- shelters are spreading out the beds to promote social distancing and reduce risk of everyone getting infected, therefore further reducing their already limited capacity
- most homeless people have no substance abuse problems
- 25% of them have a job, but it doesn't pay enough to afford rent
- there is literally no way to have a shower when you can't already afford a place to live. (some charitable people are trying to fix that)
- racial minorities, LGBTQ people, and people with mental illnesses are over-represented in the homeless population
- there used to be anti vagrancy laws that literally just made being homeless illegal in some places
- those laws were removed because they were kinda bad at helping people
- now there are new anti vagrancy laws with much more vague language that literally do the same thing
- These things are illegal in some places:
- obstructing (loitering 2)
- resting & sleeping in public
- sheltering yourself from the elements
- causing "disorder"
- most of these laws are very vague and its up to the people enforcing them to decide what is and what isn't illegal
- did you know supermarkets throw away A LOT of food that is still edible?
- did you know that they often just send it to a landfill and sometimes go as far as to prevent people from getting access to it?
- some places are trying to make that practice illegal
- there are only a few of those places in the world right now
WHO DID THIS?
|Aashiq Shaikh||Programming, Art, Game Design|
|Ash Kamenska||Programming, Art, Game Design|
|Martin Zina||Art, Game Design|
Leave a comment
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.